> I mean QuickLook is failing within Versions.  QuickLook works fine for
> these data files in the Finder and only displays the icon in the
> Finder.
If these files are not previewed via quicklook in the finder as you
say (ie they show an icon not the data/pic etc in the file) then they
will not obviously show a quicklook in versions.
quicklook is a system wide preview system and to view a given filetype
there must be an appropriate plugin.

>   QuickLook should work from
> within Versions for Illustrator and Photoshop files AND it should
> update the QuickLook preview after a file is changed.
that is correct but as I said if the finder cannot show a preview of
the files via quicklook then versions will not be able to update it.
Why should the versions team build in previews for every filetype when
the facility is already in the system for this functionality?

here is a link to a site for quicklook plugins
http://www.qlplugins.com/
about 2/3 of the way down is an illustrator plugin (search for
illustrator)

HTH

Kieren