Welcome!

You should be able to browse to the local repository that you created
in /Library/Subversion/Repositories/SVNrep and it will do it for you.
(The folder icon next to the location field.) For example, I have a
local repository in my home directory, and this is what comes up when
it's selected in versions:

file://localhost/Users/username/SVNrep/

Once you've added the respository bookmark, you can import existing
files into it with the import command in Versions. Here's the
documentation in the subversion book:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.tour.importing.html

In versions, select your repository bookmark, then File --> Import...
which will let you select a directory of file to import into your
repository.

Once you have the initial repository set up, you will want to check
out a working copy. That's where the adding of files comes in. If you
create a new file in your working copy directory, it will show up in
Versions with a ? icon... select the file and press the green add
button. That will add it to version control, i.e. "schedule it for
addition"... as it will be added the next time you do a commit.

I hope this is helpful. I can't say I'm a subversion expert, so try
this stuff out with test files first. Version control is tricky at
first, but once you get it you will wonder how you ever did without
it.

Stephen