I have a colleague running 10.5.8 that updated and now Versions is re-
launching itself (the full gui) repeatedly. Here's what she said in
her email to me:

"I’ve just downloaded the new update for Versions. It has been
“installing and relaunching” for a long time now (almost an hour).
There is also a message box which offers a quit versions option. I’ve
tried quiting Versions, but no action takes place. It is greyed out.
I’ve tried shutting down, but it refuses as Versions is preventing
it."

I'm going to try updating and then I will report my experience.

~Ted