This is probably because HFS+ (the default file system for OS X) is
case-preserving, but not case-sensitive. This means that filenames that differ
only in capitalization are considered to be the same. Although this works on
Linux, it is poor practice to name files this way, not only because developers
can easily confuse the files, but also because it causes such issues with
non-case-sensitive filesystems. Your best bet is to remove all such
near-identical filenames by renaming one of the pair, and slap the developers
who named the files that way on the wrist.  :-)  (Then explain why it's a bad
idea.)

 - Quinn