Another (perhaps simpler) way to do this is to use the package installers at
http://www.collab.net/downloads/community/ instead. The binaries will be
installed in /opt/subversion so they don't collide with the built-in SVN 1.4.4
tool set.

Alternatively, you can make Versions use SVN 1.4 internally by changing the
preferences. You'll have to check out new working copies if you do this,
though. And I personally prefer using newer versions of SVN anyway. Still, this
is the least intrusive approach.

 - Quinn