Thanks for your various comments.  When and if the grant we just submitted
is funded I will seriously compare and consider Versions and Cornerstone.
But now my research budget is tight and we have had basically no problems
working with our current Subclipse setup.  We're a small lab in a
university.  Our projects total about 5,000 java source files.  We only have
two or three students at a time, plus me, doing development.

I've played waiting games with many types of computer systems/technology as
well as jumping in early on some in my fifty-plus years of computing.  My
judgement has served me well.

In fact, I'm not a computer scientist who's that interested in technology.
I'm a scientist who happens to be a CS professor focused on using tools to
do science.  If a tool works, I stick with it.  I used Lisp for years; I
played a waiting game with Java for some years. Then made a quantum leap to
Java.  The less tools the better.  Trying to work with each new tool that
comes down the pike just takes time away from my science (assuming my
current tools allow me to get my work done).

Students come to me all the time, excited, saying, "Are you using XXX?  It's
so cool."  A few years later, XXX has fallen by the wayside.

I can sense that you devoted Versions people are miffed by my light dissing
of Versions. So enjoy Versions - it seems to work for you.  I'll enjoy
getting things done in the ways that are working for me now.  If it ain't
broke, don't fix it.

Speaking of my time budget, it would make sense for me to opt out of the
Versions list until I have some disposable funds sometime in the future.
Otherwise it's an exercise in frustration for all of us.

Bye,

 - Bob Futrelle