Am I missing something here?

I am running a Subversion daemon on my NAS box as per this procedure:

http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.php/Step-by-step_guide_to_installing_Subversion_on_ARM-based_Synology_Products

I have successfully migrated my repositories to the NAS (using
svnadmin dump and load).

With the default passwd and svnserve.conf files I can connect to my
repositories in Versions using a url like:

svn://11.22.33.44/repository_name

Of course, I can't commit because the default svnserve.conf has anon-
access = read.

So, then I set the following in svnserve.conf:

anon-access = none
auth-access = write

and add a user to passwd.

Now I can't connect at all - I just get "Authorization failed" and
Versions does not prompt me for a username and password when I attempt
to commit.

I tried entering my credentials from passwd in the Versions Edit
Bookmark screen, but doing so adds it to the url like so:

svn://usern...@11.22.33.44/repository_name

which I believe is invalid. Regardless, it doesn't work  : (

So, now the only way I can commit to my repository is by setting
svnserve.conf to:

anon-access = write

This is not acceptable since I expose my NAS to the big scary outside
world so I can access other services. I don't even want anon-access to
be "read", let alone "write"!

I would appreciate any illumination on this problem.

Thanks,

Jim