On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 2:49 PM, Jeremy Sanders
<jer...@jeremysanders.net> wrote:
> Matthew McCormick (thewtex) wrote:
>
>> So, I have implemented my PyQt4/veusz application, which can be seen here:
>> http://mmmccormick.com/#tcd_analyze
>>
>> It looks good, but the speed is not usable for a real dataset.  I've
>> got anti-aliasing turned off, which helps a lot, but it still needs a
>> ways to go.  Here is some profiling data I made with the cProfile
>> module:
>
> Interesting... It looks like _getLinePoints in widgets/point.py is one of
> the biggest problems. Is that correct? This is a function I have considered
> recoding in C++, but SIP seems to be fairly painful to use so I've never got
> that far.

Yeah, _getLinePoints seems to be one of the buggers.

I have done a couple of C Python extensions, and I like C++ much more
than C, but I haven't done anything with SIP/PyQt4.  I have heard that
Boost Python is nicer than SIP, which is what PySide uses
http://www.pyside.org/.  However, I don't have any first hard
experience with boost python either, and it is up to you if you want
to move to PySide.  From how you code is setup (veusz.qtall) porting
should be pretty trivial.

The main problem I've had with it is getting it integrated into
> the build system properly.

I have experience with cmake www.cmake.org, and I have been doing a
little work on the python module that has not been submitted upstream
or published yet.  Distutils is crappy for that sort of thing.
Hopefully, I could be of some help on that front.