From: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com [mailto:vfb-m...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Anthony Spezio
Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 2:00 PM
To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
Cc: flyfishingandflytyingforpanf...@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [VFB] Fishing last Thursday and Friday

Finally getting time to post this.
We have family here from N.J. and Oklahoma. They are grand kids and great
Grand Kids.along with the adults.
The White river has been running a lot of water so I was not able to take
the kids out in the boat to fish. On Thursday afternoon we decided to check
out the lake. It was still high but we did find a spot where the kids could
fish. It was a bit steep and brushy. Checked out the brush and let the kids
get down to the water. The lake water was over a lot of brush that is
normally out of the water so a lot of hang ups were expected. We rigged up
the kids who range in age from five to nine, with spinning rods bobbers and
worms. They started catching Bluegills almost at once. One of the four year
old Great Grand Twin caught a real nice Largmouth about 12". I rigged up my
fly rod, tied on a Peacock and Bronze and started catching Gills from about
the second cast. I did get hooked up in the underwater brush and lost a
couple of flies. The kids did too but we were able to fish. I got about 10
gills before we quit, it was just getting too hot.
My son in law wanted to fish so I told him we would check out Crooked Creek
early Saturday morning. The Creek had been too high to fish for a while. We
drove over to the creek early Friday morning and found it still high but it
was wadeable, you had to be careful. I was using my 7/9 bamboo rod and my
son in law was using the 7' bamboo rod I made for him 10 years ago.We tied
on a couple of Peacock and Bronze and got in the creek. Before I started to
cast, my son on law was already on to fish. In spite of the creek being a
bit high, swift current and a bit colored, we were catching a good number of
Gills. Then Steve got the first Small Mouth, it was not a very big one but
his first. A bit later I got a Smallie, Then some more gills and he caught
another Smallmouth about 9".. Working up the creek, we would hit hot spots
that would yield 8 to 10 Gills. I was only able to get up to the first
riffle but Steve went up to the "Carp" hole. He got into a couple of Small
Mouths up there. He said he could see some real large Smallies but could not
entice them. It was starting to get hot so I was about ready to head back to
the van. I got back and took off my waders and thought Steve was right
behind me. I was getting worried after about a half hour and was going to go
back to the creek and check on him.
I finally saw him coming through the brush. He was on his way back down when
he hit a hole that was producing fish. He told me he took about 30 Gills
from that one hole..
We lost count long before we quit but I know we took over 100 gills and
Smallmouths along with a Roach and a couple of Goggle Eyes in the 4 1/2
hours we fished.
It was a good day for both of us.
Arkansas Tony

05:53:00