  From: Joyce
  To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Saturday, July 11, 2009 6:35 AM
  Subject: [VFB] Re: count your blessings

  I feel I  must comment. As one who grew up with no electricity, no running
water..that is,unless we ran up the hill with the bucket to the house, dirt
road with the last two miles non-graveled, I had a wonderful childhood. Mine
was a rural farm where, we had a 2 acre garden, 5 acre potato patch, same for
sweet corn, raised our own melons and had chickens, eggs, fresh pork and beef.
I grew up eating better than much of the rest of the world. We worked hard, had
a house with worn out linoleum floors but knew how to work, raise our own food
and had much love in our family. We had a lake 20 rods from the house and
plenty of fresh fish..mother loved to fish and taught the kids. So, yes, they
may be poor, we were, but there was no violence, no worry about gang shootings,
never a worry about where our next meal was coming from. We sold eggs and cream
which  meant we also knew how to care for dairy as well as beef cattle. We used
horses as well as a tractor, so we knew equine ways as well as how to gap spark
plugs. In short, this was an idyllic place for me, and I'd not trade my "third
world" upbringing for anything. We had the knowledge that though we were poor,
we were loved and self sufficient. Joyce

6:16 AM