Yesterday, my friend and I spent the day fishing for rainbow trout at a
stream about 2.5 hours away from where I live.  I rained heavily on the way
there and I had noticed on my barometer that the air pressure had dropped
back. I was still quite optimistic, as I have spent pleasant days on this
stream in late September/early October in past years. We made good time and
appeared to have the stream to ourselves, at least initially.  We picked a
spot that has produced reasonably well in the same month as in previous
years, although this year, the water level was a bit lower than usual.

I took one rod set up for fishing a nymph and attached a caddis imitation
Czech nymph to the leader and another smaller rod set up for fishing a dry
fly.  Since it was fairly cool and not yet mid morning, we both started to
fish nymphs as there was no apparent surface or hatch activity apart from
the occasional mayfly or caddis fluttering around.

After as while, my partner spotted a rise right up against the far bank.
Try as I might, it was a bit too far for me to cast to with my light cane
rod. Another disadvantage was that it was difficult to get a good drag free
drift of any length due to the faster currents between me and the target.
My partner tried to swing his nymph into the spot but was experiencing
similar difficulties.  After a good try, we decide to give up and wade down
stream as far as we could see to get to another pool that my partner had
fished several years previously. There was no path and so we slowly made our
way downstream as the river had widened out and was fairly shallow, although
we had to swap from side to side. It took about half an hour on more to get
there and took a few casts on the way, but generally it was too shallow for
fish to take up residence.

We eventually arrived at the pool and it was evident immediately that this
pool was quite unlike the last as the surface was much smoother, the water
gin clear and more like a spring creek. We started to notice several smaller
tan/grey mayflies and several rising fish. I figured that the best way to
approach these fish was to position myself downstream of them and start at
the most downstream rising fish.  I crouched down tight to the bushes and
slowly edged my way downstream and into position. Bushes lined both sides of
the stream making it necessary to wade out into the stream to allow for a
back cast. Even then, it was somewhat difficult as one had to false cast
parallel to the bank and then suddenly change direction on the forward
stroke of the final cast. This was reasonably successful and I put my fly
pretty much were I wanted it to go. I waited for the expectant rise
and......waited some more. Several cast later, I changed flies, as I was
sure that I was covering the fish close enough. Still nothing so I changed
flies again and again and again. I degreased my tippet for the last 6 inches
before the fly and when that didn't work, put the lightest tippet material
on that I had with me which was 5.5X, but still nothing.  The mayflies were
hatching out for quite some time, their sail-like wings prominent as they
were swept downstream or disappeared in a resounding rise.  By now, we were
really scratching our heads. Thinking of the prominent wing, I attached a
wally-wing mayfly that I knew was too big (probably a size 12)but I had
nothing in that particular style. On second cast, the fly was flopped over
on its side with the wing on the water and before you could say "Jack
Robinson" a fish rose to it.  I struck and felt nothing, however I
discovered that the tippet was caught under the tail of the fly which had
caused it to tip over. It was impossible to set the hook as the tippet was
caught around the bend of the hook and I must have pulled the fly out of the
fish's mouth with the point facing backwards.

Moving on to the the next spot downstream, therer was a small creek that
entered the stream with the usual large snag in the shape of a large log
sticking out of the deepest part of the pool. Fish were active as was
observed by the many fast splashes at the surface of this rough and fast
piece of water. I won't call them rises because there were no insects or
other things visible that they were rising to. I tried various dry flies
again without so much as a sniff! My partner tried a nymph and then a large
Griffiths gnat fished just under the surface. He had a couple of brief pulls
but no real contact.  I tried comparaduns in various sizes and colours down
to size 16, Harrop duns, parachute adams, Fran Betters "the Usual" and still
more which have always worked in the past but not today. I was totally
beaten. Perhaps my flies should have been smaller - maybe size 18- 20 even,
especially in the "Spring Creek" pool. I have no idea what the fish were
feeding on in the last place as I could see nothing on the surface. It was
very humbling and frustrating experience and I'm not sure what I have
learned as I have yet to figure out what was happening. Skunked again.

Neville (Nev) Gosling
Greater Vancouver,
B.C. Canada