wow this was very informative and a very good read. Thank you very much Don O,
i really enjoy any of the teaching things like that it give a better idea on
how to select material and what to do with it thank you very much again
----- Original Message -----
From: "Don Ordes" <f...@tribcsp.com>
To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 9:24:07 AM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: [VFB] Hair swap- buffalo mane, & FYI Polar bear

I had the pleasure of examining a fully-mounted bull bullalo years ago.  The
hair/fur characteristics changed, like most fur-bearing animals, from nose to
tail.  Even the mane, which looks at first glance to be the same front to back,
actually changed from front to back, top to bottom, and from chest to neck to
shoulders to legs.  If I could have had samples from, say 20 different select
areas, I would have been a happy camper.  That not being the case, I moved on
(mount would have looked strange- buff with the mange).  A couple of years ago
I received some buff mane samples, and if memory serves me right, they are from
the side by the neck.  The underfur is so dense that a flea would get stuck,
and the guard hairs must be 6-7" long.  Does anyone remember if they gave me
that?  Also, the season that the buff was harvested would make a big
difference- freshly molted or dense winter coat.  These guys survive 50-60 deg.
below zero with 80mph winds up in the park area- must be a warm coat.

Working with buffalo mane  is like working with polar bear.  Same thing goes
about body area for the sample patch.  I separate the extra-long fine guard
hairs into a medicine bottle, then the mid-length.  These can make tails,
woven abdomens, roped tails, hair wings, streamers, etc.  THe very thick
underfur is water-proof to a point, but the tanning process removes most of the
natural oils.  This underfur can be blended or used right off the hide, and is
excellent for my rope-dub method, and off-the-hide gives a perfect taper and
color-graduation when rope-dubbing.  Hairs for the tail, tight tapered underfur
roped for the abdomen, hairs for the wing-case, loose fuzzy underfur roped
thorax, legs made of wing hairs tied back, mono eyes, a couple of hairs for
antenna, and done (a one-material fly).  Needs lead wrap in the abdomen and a
small bead at the eye.  Tank-test for balance with leader- should drift level
and retrieve level, hence the lead under the abdomen.

Polar bear :  What's different is the make-up of the hair (not fur in my
book).  THe hairs in a lower body-patch are of all lengths from guards to tiny
micro-hairs.  THe short hairs are so dense they form a mat, and then the tiny
hairs pack it in.  To tie, it's best to have a number of medicine bottles for
different lengths for different flies.  Nip off a tuff, pull out the longest
guards while pinching the base, and set bottom-1st into a bottlle.  Then do the
next length.  Depending on the patch and the lengths I get, I tie different
flies.  Hair is very much like synthetic fibers, but use half as much.  The
dubbing is very tough to apply, and tougher to get any shape.  The rope-dub
works, but it takes some practice.

I don't own a micro-scope, but I don't think the hairs are hollow, as they
won't flare at all.  I believe they are more like fiber-optic cables,
transmitting light (heat) to the dark hide below, which absorbs the heat.  PB
skin is dark gray on the upper side and tan on the belly.  There have been all
kinds of scientific studies on the properties of a PB hair.  I think they have
all missed the point about heat transference.  THe PB hair acts like a mat in
absorbing light, not just one follicle at a time.  I use a small tuft of PB on
my dry flies and they look like they have a light strapped to the top as they
float down the river.
FYI, old and discolored (pale yellow) PB has lost its light-collecting
qualities and texture.

Too much espresso this morning, Buggs.