From: iainsh...@hotmail.comed
To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
Subject: [VFB] Re: in case now silk eyes
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 05:30:34 +0000

If you have difficulty getting gut for eyes you can always make furled cream
silk eyes.
(Practice on cheap sewing thread)
They look OK framed but I wouldnt fish them.
use similar method to furled leaders.
iain

From: markflie...@hotmail.com
To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
Subject: [VFB] Re: in case
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 20:54:07 -0700

Mike, also way back in the days.....when most all blind eye hooks had squared
off hook shanks and no tapers.....the gut was usually tyed in almost the
complete length of ther shank..........so as to make it less likely to pull out
while fighting big fish. But with the advent of tapered hooks and specially
since we most often do not fish these flies.....the guy in most often nowdays,
only tyed in to "fit inside" the taper. Which is why, when you are sucking on
it to prepare it for shaping into a neat little ring to make the eye, you
should also nibble on the two tags ends. You just bite right on both ends to
fray them and prepare them for seperation, so you can stager your cuts. You
wanna trim the gut on a taper to keep the taper on the hooks smooth and even.
So say you have three strands on the piece your working with.....after you get
it bout half way lashed down.....you seperate the strands and make graduated
cuts of the three strands individually and continue lashing. That's how you
keep a nice taper for your body.