  From: Mark Romero
  To: virtual fly box
  Sent: Monday, November 16, 2009 10:42 PM
  Subject: [VFB] Re: Show tying and sales

  Chuck, this was the last year that the FFF Southeast Council will have their
annual Conclave in Callaway Gardens, Georgia. It is being moved to a new site
about an hour from Atlanta. But if they don't get it together, it wont be any
better than it was in Callaway Gardens. We did the show at Callaway Gardens
last year.....and it was a disaster. Most councils (FFF) do a very good job of
putting on a Conclave.....some need to start all over from scratch and
re-"ThinK" it through. We've done the Northeast Council Conclave, the Southern
Council Conclave, the Southeast Council Conclave, the Gulf Coast Council
Conclave, the Oregon Council Conclave, the Washington State Council Conclave,
the Great Lakes Council Conclave and the FFF International Conclave. Bottom
line is to support the FFF.....nothin' goes perfect every time.....people screw
up.....bitchin' for bitchin' sake dosen't help much. Most of the time it's a
lack of communication and egos that throw a turd in the soup.....what should be
done is for survey sheets to be made up and have the councils ask the tyers
what they liked and what they didn't. They need feedback to improve their act.
But they need to ask for it.....because most tyers are so nice and they do not
wanna make waves, so they put up with things they shouldn't have to. And just
don't bother to go to "whomever" and let it be know what can be done to improve
the situation. Also, the council are ususally not going to incure any over and
above expenses they do feel they really need to.....air conditioning cost for
example. They have a hard enough time finding a decent venue, and then the
"hotel" "fairgrounds" or whoever it might be, wanna sock it to 'em on top of
simply the space itself. So, everyone suffers because the idea is to make
money.....not spend it. So you end up with doors hanging wide open letting
every fly on the planet in, instead of having temp control so everyone can be
comfortable and relaxed. Reality is, "common sense, aint common." That's peeps,
and there aint a GOT DAMN thing you can do about that. if you don't like the
way any one particular show is run or the way your treated. Stay home.