Wes,

I've never tied or fished tube flies, but I like to solve problems.
First of all, what are the advantages (assets) of tube flies,
so that the solution doesn't negate the advantages of the tube fly?

1.  Fly moves up leader and doesn't get chewed on.  (the tube is held to the
hook with the use of a short piece of "junction tubing."  This is flexible
and prevents leverage and will come free with a lively fish.)
2.  Hook styles and sizes, etc. can be changed and still use the same fly
3.  Tied carefully, a tube can provide a large silhouette but remain fairly
sparse which helps it to sink faster.
4.  Tubes can be short or long which affects the weight and are normally
made of plastic, aluminum, copper or brass. One can therefore control the
depth that the tube is fished at.
5.  Mikael Frodin has come up with the "Fits" tubing system and a regular
cone or the new large diameter "Fits" cones can he added to the plastic tube
to as Mikael puts it "make 'em swim better"
    see
http://globalflyfisher.com/reviews/books/bookbase/show_single.php?id=176
6. A Finnish company Eumer has a similar tube system -  see
http://eumer.com/index.php?name=ProductBrowser
<http://eumer.com/index.php?name=ProductBrowser&nodeIDX=136&parentIDX=1&root
IDX=0> &nodeIDX=136&parentIDX=1&rootIDX=0
7. Not really suitable for trout except large piscivorous fish.
8.  It's fun, but not always as easy as it looks.
9   See attachment showing junction tubing.

Neville (Nev) Gosling
Greater Vancouver,
B.C. Canada

And so on...

then we list the drawbacks:

1.  Lose the hook and lose the fly (sinking fly only)
2.
3.

Then we try to solve the drawbacks without messing with the advantages.

Neville (Nev) Gosling
Greater Vancouver,
B.C. Canada

Hope sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.