FYI

*[image: bowman_steve]**By Steve Bowman
Executive Editor ESPNOutdoors.com
Archive <http://search.espn.go.com/steve-bowman/> *

Firestorms get started in a variety of ways, especially on politicized
issues.

ESPNOutdoors.com inadvertently contributed to a flare-up Tuesday when we
posted the latest
article<http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/saltwater/news/story?id=4975762>in
a series of stories on President Barack Obama's newly created Ocean
Policy Task Force, a column written by Robert Montgomery, a conservation
writer for BASS since 1985. Regrettably, we made several errors in the
editing and presentation of this installment. Though our series has included
numerous news stories on the topic, this was not one of them -- it was an
opinion piece, and should have been clearly labeled as commentary.

And while our series overall has examined several sides of the topic, this
particular column was not properly balanced and failed to represent contrary
points of view. We have reached out to people on every side of the issue and
reported their points of view -- if they chose to respond -- throughout the
series, but failed to do so in this specific column.

This series started in October and has included several updates on how the
creation of the task force and its actions could impact recreational
anglers. ESPNOutdoors.com should have made it clear to all readers that this
was part of a larger series, and -- even though this was Montgomery's
opinion, and those of the sources quoted in the column -- we should have
taken more care to fairly represent opposing arguments.

We do feel it is our duty to cover issues surrounding outdoor sports to the
best of our abilities, and given the nature of this task force and the
potential impact on all fisherman, this was an appropriate topic to address
for our audience. We take seriously the tenets of journalism that require we
take an unbiased approach, and when we make mistakes in the presentation of
a story or a column, it is our responsibility to admit them.

Any confusion on that part rests entirely on my shoulders as the executive
editor of this site.

We have appended the original column to note that it was in fact a
commentary, and we will institute more rigorous editing safeguards in order
to prevent such issues in the future.

--
Mike Bliss
Aloha from Hawaii