Together with flies tied on them, I also have them beside a millimeter ruler
(1 inch=25.4 millimeters - 1 millimeter = 0.03937").
http://www.swedneckflyfishing.com/32s.htm

TMC518 #32 is 3.5 millimeters (0.138"). Straight part of hook shank, fly
part, is about 2 mm (0.079")... which is also the total length of a Mustad
277... that gives a fly part of about 1 mm (0.039").

/Nick