Before I answer your questions, I want to make the case that this thread IS
fishing related.  Regardless of the politics of global warming I think all
fishermen can agree that pollution, smog, acid rain and other such nasties that
result from burning fossil fuels can be detrimental to our sport, so in that
sense we are all environmentalists.  Yet getting to where we want to fish,
pulling a boat if we have one with a truck built to do the job adds to the
pollution.   An obvious alternative for a country literally swimming in natural
gas is to move as many vehicles as possible to this resource,  which is one of
the least polluting sources of fossil fuel energy available.

It is fun taking my boat to a reservoir and paying 1/3 as much for fuel costs,
but it is also nice to know I am doing it without adding much to existing
pollution.  It would be nice to see a LOT more CNG (or LNG) vehicles on the
road, but in many parts of the US there is simply no infrastructure to make it
happen.  Luckily for me, Utah is the CNG Mecca of the US, IMO.  Only New York
and California have more physical stations, and we have far more per-capita
than either.  At 93 cents a gallon, our CNG is also cheap.  And that brings us
back to your questions.

Yes, it is sold "by the gallon" but I am sure it is actually calculating the
"gallon" using a specified volume of natural gas.  Apparently a "gallon" of
natural gas has less energy than a gallon of gasoline, but it is close, since
my mpg hit is only about 30%.  Refilling is as simple as buying gas.  The hose
is hooked up to a nozzle on the side of my truck using a device similar to the
"quick release" connectors used for compressed air.  Then the "pump" is turned
on by moving a lever, just as you do when buying gas.  Then you turn a valve on
the dispenser, and the CNG starts flowing into your vehicle.  A lot flows in at
first, but eventually the pressures equalize and the flow stops.  As the gas is
released, the pump indicates how many "gallons" were dispensed.  When you are
done, you turn the lever off and the gas pressure in the line is vented.

There is a pressure gauge on side of the pump dispenser that should read 3500
psi.  Sometimes it drops to 2500, when that happens, I am only able to fill my
tank with half as much.  A common greeting when pulling up to the pump among
CNGers is "The pressure is great today".

The tanks are large and typically hold 13 gallons, but the only way to get that
much in them is to have your own compressor in your garage, an option available
to anyone, but pricey.  Most tanks have a 30 year life, but have to be replaced
after 15 years regardless of their condition (federal regulations).

Conversions are available for most vehicles and cost anywhere from $5000 to
$8000 dollars depending on whether the mechanic doing it is EPA "certified".
This is a political football around here, since Utah has a $2500 tax rebate for
conversions done by EPA certified dealers, yet both use the exact same
conversion kits, and if they aren't installed correctly they simply won't run.
The difference between the two is the credentials of the mechanic doing the
installation.

If my facts are correct, doing a conversion is the only way to get a newer CNG
truck, since no truck dealers offer Duel Fuel (gas and CNG) vehicles to the
public (Ford still does them by special order for fleets).

Liquid natural gas would be wonderful since you could pack a LOT more energy
into your tank, but I don't think it is available.  Propane is available, but
costs more than gas.  I don't know anything about propane technology.