Hi Jerry,

Just got back from a six-day trip.  Was fun, but we are really battling bad
weather on the west coast.  Only was able to fish about two days out of the
six, rest was wind, cold, snow, wind, cold, snow.  Saw some new fishing
streams near Redding, California, plus a short stay at Sugar Creek Ranch.
 Best fish were 4-1/2 pound rainbow on a new original bottom bumping bugger
(black and chartreuse with rainbow flash) and a 19" male rainbow on a small
red midge pupa below an indicator.

Had a very brief but fun experience fishing a pond about 10' deep.  I had
tied a larger rabbit strip fly with more weight than ideal on the jig head.
(Had run out of the best sizes of beads).  The fly is about 4-1/2 inches
long and is white.  Thing casts like a bomb, and makes a beeline for the
bottom.  I just wanted to see what the action would be like with this
heavier head...

Well, first cast hits the water and the fly is shooting for the bottom, head
first, dropping about 15 inches a second.  As it approaches the bottom, POW!
 Massive, aggressive hit.  Retrieved the fly, then tried again, and POW!
 Same action.  Did not hook up either time, the fish might have been
grabbing the tail of the fly and missed the hook, or whatever??  After those
two casts, nobody else showed any interest.  But the aggressive strikes --
at the extra fast moving fly diving for the bottom -- were fun to witness.

Another fly tying funny... I was staying in a cabin/house and was tying on a
table near the bathroom doorway.  I had placed a plastic bin box filled with
dozens of loose flies on the floor.  When I got up to go to the bathroom, I
kicked the box over, spilling most of the flies across the floor and under
the doorway.  Grumble!  Cuss!

Opening the door to locate the flies that had scooted under the doorslot, I
had a good laugh.  The cabin had not been occupied for a while, and there
were a number of dead bugs on the floor mixed in with the artificial flies.
 It was a funny game trying to separate one from the other.  Truly a story
only a fly tyer could appreciate.

Wes Wada
Bend, Oregon