Neville- see my comments by yours
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Neville Gosling
  To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Saturday, June 26, 2010 1:56 PM
  Subject: RE: [VFB] QUOTE FOR THE DAY

  Don O:
  See my comments below:-
  Neville (Nev) Gosling
  Greater Vancouver,
  B.C. Canada

    From: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com [mailto:vfb-m...@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of Don Ordes
    Sent: June 26, 2010 11:50 AM

    My two cents:

    His comment doesn't make any sense.

    1.   He says "during the time period (past two decades) we have a
proliferation in new tying materials...".  This comment refers to materials
    2.   But then he says "Truth to be told there seems to be little that is
truly new in the fly tying world."        Whereas this comment refers to fly
design or patterns.  Didn't sound that way to me.  But it's still not true
anyway.

    See below for an example of tying a czech nymph by Davie McPhail. He
virtually does your rope dub technique but his attachment of the dubbing to the
hook is different to yours in that he does not anchor it first before turning
the dubbing araound the thread with his fingers....But he does hold the bobbin
and twist the dubbing around the thread in the same manner as DO.

    Davie does not use my technique.  He uses only one hand to twist the
anchored dubbing- I use two.  He can get away with that on this dubbing, but
hare's ear and squirrel will not work- ask Nick.  In my technique, you never
release the dubbing.  That way all materials bind to themselves and the rope
never has to be re-tightened as you wrap.  Using two hands would allow him to
segment and taper the fly in one movement- about 20 seconds, and his 1st
dubbing method was from 4:00 to 5:20.  Rope-dubbing my way would allow him to
dub both color dubbings in one step in 30 seconds rather than taking him to
6:00- = 2 minutes.  He would also get great segmentation to boot.

    Also, like you said, he has to release the dubbing to make an anchor, and
fly-away dubbings will fall off the thread before he can make his anchor.  My
technique is anchor 1st and two hands.  Anything else is not my technique.

    I don't know when Davie started his technique, but I have seen others doing
things more similar to the rope-dub ever since the VFB article and the earliest
shows around 2000.  Also, I am not the only one rope-dubbing these days (the
right way), or else no one has learned anything in 10 years of free show
demonstrations and the VFB article.  I tied at shows for many years and have
read many books and talked to many masters.  Polly and others also had vaguely
similar noodleing techniques, but they are not the same as mine.  Polly twisted
the thread with his dubbing- opposite of mine.

    Maybe some day someone will show and prove to me that the rope-dub
technique has been used by others. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC2aO5X0IJA I
checked for 8 years and no one could produce anything.

    I guess that I should qualify this statement with time, that before I
started demonstrating it in 2000, no one had seen it.  Davie's technique is not
mine, and ice dub would give him trouble every time he let go of it.  Even if
someone is using the rope-dub technique, it would have to pre-date me
demonstrating it publically.  I have a few friends publicly demonstrating my
method accurately to represent the DVD methods.

    I am advertising my DVD on FAOL, and a Canadian tier accused early on me of
plagerizing Polly's technique.  Before we could get his post expunged, a lot of
people were misled.  He was chastized by the owner for false accusatins, but
never made an apology to me.  Denny Conrad has since done a review of my DVD
for FAOL and has adopted the rope dub as his only dubbing method.  He has tied
for 65 years and has never seen the technique elsewhere. He is thrilled with
his results and can tie excellent 3-color fishing flies in less than a minute.

    So show me something before 2000 and let's start over.  I started the
technique in the early 80's, but never made it public.  So let's just use 2000.
 And roped yarns don't count.