I believe the name is derived from the fins being "Pin Sharp".
Skip, FL
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Chuck Alexander
  To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Saturday, September 18, 2010 6:41 PM
  Subject: Re: [VFB] Pinfish story & photo- Flies of the Week

  I don't know who named them, but after eating a few pinfish when I was
stationed in FL, I know why they are called pinfish... They have more bones
that a danged archeologist LOL. And especially the little "pin bones" that will
lodge in your throat and make everybody around you think you are trying to
choke yourself when you grasp your throat with your hands trying to "hock" up
that little bone LOL.,..... Chuckles