MeddelandeChuck,
This goes for all our fly gear, too, so it is fishing related.  No
'revelations' here, either.

See if your modum is made in China, or close by there.  One-year failure is
engineered in (end of warranty).   Unfortunately, they learned it from us. (The
dark side of capitalism)

I'm trying to steer away from anything MIC, MIM, MIT, MIK, especially anything
to do with machinery.  The engineered 'failure part' will be essential to the
operation of the unit and will cost more to replace than buying a new cheap
complete unit.  Planned obsolescense is almost as good as planned failure.
Both work to force one to re-purchase the same item over and over.

It's hard to do- sometimes no options, but the extra work and expense to buy
local is worth it to get a better, lasting product.  Buying USA made does not
guarantee high quality, so one still has to shop wisely and look at warranties
& service.

Have you seen the cute little Chinese scooters that sell for under $1000?  Buy
two- use the second one for parts and be ready to fix it yourself- no shops
will touch them.  I looked into them in Moab-had a dealer there with no service
or parts department- selling them in the front foyer of his law office.  He was
paying $3-400 for a scooter that he was doubling the price on.  Six month
warranty.  Did some web research.  Ride them for 6 months and then they make
good lawn ornaments after that.  The failure parts are just about unfixable, or
more expensive with labor than to just buy a new one.  OTOH, a Honda is 4 times
more expensive, but you have something that will last for years and you can get
it fixed.

Oh, and I give the service industries (like cable TV) a hard time for providing
this substandard junk as part of their packages.  Our cable TV conveter lasts 6
months and then goes out, and never works that well.  Guess where it's made.
Same for the remote.  All junk and time consuming.

Off my soap-box for now...

Buggs