When I was 23 I broke my femur "getting off of a horse".  I think the horse
helped me, but I can't remember, I was knocked unconscious.  When I came to, my
leg was in an impossible position, the femur broken clean in two.

The surgery involved putting a "nail" (a long rod) down the middle of the femur
to hold it together, unfortunately the rod was straight but my femur was bent,
so while the doctor was pounding it in through a hole on the hip end of the
bone, it broke through just above my knee shattering the lower bone, and
actually sticking out of my leg!  He had to saw it off with a hack saw, then
cut my leg the full length of the bone and add a metal plate to hold the two
broken pieces together.  The surgery took five hours instead one, and
afterwards they gave my five units of blood!  A real mess.  I still have
shrapnel from the sawing that shows up in x-rays.

Anyway, I couldn't put any weight or stress on the bone four a couple of
months, and was told my knee would "freeze" but if I was careful to keep
working at it after the bone had healed I could restore the motion in about a
year, and that was exactly how long it took.  The bone healed up fine,  but the
knee was never the same.

By the way, the first thing the doc will have to do is remove that old nail,
but this time it will be pulled out from the bottom of the femur during the
knee replacement surgery.

Tom