For the last couple of years most of my fishing has revolved around the bass boat I purchased several years ago. It is still mostly fly fishing, but, because of my bad knee (the one I had replaced three months ago, I haven't been doing much river fishing for the last few years.

Anyway, on the trip I took with my wife to Southern Utah last week, I threw in my fly rod and some fly boxes, thinking to make some casts in some alpine lakes up in the mountains above Cedar City. We stopped at one called "Duck Creek Pond", and I made a few casts with no success. Then we did some exploring and hiking to an interesting natural feature where a large lake, called Navajo Lake has its only outlet, which comes gushing out of a crack in a red rock cliff two miles below the Lake! Pretty cool. Anyway, we were exploring some more in the truck, and I decided to pull of the road into a well used parking area next to a small stream called Duck Creek. The river was small and beautiful, with some nice looking holes, but also a well worn trail along its banks, obviously a place that gets a lot of pressure. I thought "what the heck", and tied on my usual river rig, a hares ear with a size 18 BHPT dropper. I started "high sticking" without weight through a run, and to my surprise, picked up a feisty 12 inch rainbow. I proceeded to add more weight getting deeper into the run, and picked up four more from that same hole, the largest being 15 inches. Then I moved up stream to the next nice hole, did the same and picked up five more! All in about 40 minutes while my wife took a nap in the car.

It felt good to know I still "had it"! And that was about 10 more fish that I have caught in my last two outings in my boat!