 From: Chappy <aavidcha...@gmail.com>
To: VFB Mail <vfb-mail@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2011 7:50 AM
Subject: [VFB] Re: Streamer

Hi Tony,

>From being in the northeast; tying and fishing streamers, I will add a
few comments.   This fly needs some peacock herl, topping, or bucktail
to fill in the open space...of course becoming Carrie Stevens Ghost
like.   The first thing I always look at are the finish on the heads
especially for plate flies.

I recommend using some UTC black fine thread.  Untwist this thread so
it lays flat sort of like very mini floss. You have to untwist with a
slight bobbin spin every 5-10 wraps. This allows you to make a sweet
head with no imperfections by laying the thread to fill in
uneveness.   Then use 1 coat of penetrating cement like flexament or
sally hansens.  then apply 2 -3 coats of hard as hull head cement.
Give at least 4-6 hours in between coats.   Or you can use rod
building epoxy once (this is less non-yellowing over time)

This type of finished head commands attention.

The marabou throat also looks out of place.   I would prefer to see a
feather or barbule throat.  Instead of the chart tail, use a crest
topping - it will also look regal.

Marabou is fantastic for streamers and it is fun as you can add a lot
of flash.  I like to use marabou as an underwing.  You can wet it
first before you tie it in and when it dries it has a little less bulk
and complements both bucktail and feather wings.   A marabou throat
looks more appealing with this type of wing construction.

I just tied up some magog smelts for a client and I need to take some
pictures of what I am talking about.

Certainly like the jungle cock cheek and eye.   This also looks great
on a lighter color wing.  Where as silver pheasant makes a great cheek
for dark wings....

Can't wait to see your next one.

Chappy.