Soft body is a water-based polyurethane (I guess) latex, but it is formulated
to give a high build, single application soft coat. Not many non-flytying
latexes are formulated to give the same result. They are probably out there -
not many products are formulated exclusively for fly tying - but you will most
likely not find them among the mainstream products. But it never hurts to
experiment...

On 24 Apr, 2012, at 23:24, Neville Gosling wrote:

> Several years ago, I bought a small jar of Soft Body Plastic Resin by
> Angler's Choice. Unlike softex, which has harmful & toxic ingredients, Soft
> Body was non-toxic, non-flammable and could be thinned with water. Angler's
> Choice has, I believe, exited the fly tying market and although I have
> located some online, it must be old stock.
>
> Soft Body is opaque white in colour and dries clear. Does anyone on the list
> know of a suitable alternative?
>
> I wondered if Minwax water based oil-modified polyurethane would be similar.
> See
>
> http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/interior-clear-protective-finishes/minwax-water-based-oilmodifiednbsppolyurethane
>
> the original Soft body may be found here: -
>
> http://www.unexcelledfishing.com/images/stories/product_images/large_4db07204eced21303409156.jpeg
>
> I use the thin version.
>
> Neville (Nev) Gosling
> Greater Vancouver
> BC Canada

| Dr. Henk J.M. Verhaar             | e-mail: h...@stichtsend.xs4all.nl |
| Ecotoxicoloog en vliegbinder      | tel:                              |
| Bonte Kraailaan 22                | mobiel: 06 38 279016              |
| NL-1343 AJ Almere                 | web:    www.xs4all.nl/~flyrod     |