Now that everyone has their flies from this year's swaps, and they were all great flies, I wanted to add a little about how I came about hosting swaps, what I got out of taking part in swaps, and how I pick my patterns to host a swap.

I was a late comer to VFB, brought in by Deb Duran, I was a member of United Fly Tyers, oldest tying club in America. So I took part in 36 swaps as of last year, I still have all the flies in cigar boxes! What it did for me was make me practice, practice and practice some more! The best way to learn is through repetition, and help from friends. Over a short time I was able to improve my skills, and tying speed.

Even today as a 'pro' I don't take shop orders, or orders for over 1 dozen of a pattern of the same size. I'm custom rather than production, my goal is to cover all expenses and take Jerry my husband of 39 years on a nice fishing trip, his reward for introducing me to this wonderful life of fly fishing !

Through fly tying I went to Alaska in March, 2010 and couch surfed for 10 days around the state, watched the races start in Anchorage, spoke to the Alaska Fly Fishers, and taught 5 fly tying classes around the state. Met and traveled with 3 great fly fishing ladies from the state, the trip of a lifetime! Even learned how to cultivate my own snow shoe hare with a 30/6, protection for the gal taking a pee on the side of the road! in winter there are no rest areas on the highways!

When I organize a swap, I first looked at what had been done; now I look at what I want to tie and have not done yet, and the second fly leads from last years swap that I organized. Example, streamers, I started with Carrie Stevens and the usual Maine streamers, then went on to the other lesser known creators. Now the the real fish able ones.

For next year we will maybe do the Nick Lambrough Heron series and something else.

Peggy

--
Peggy Brenner
President IWFF

--- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VFB Mail" group.