From: Henk Verhaar
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2013 1:45 AM
To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [VFB] Sparrow

I'm not Hans, but I have been known to split hairs, errr thread too.

Not all flies require split-thread (dubbing techniques). Split-thread dubbing
is an alternative to dubbing-loop techniques that can offer superior results
wherever it is a viable alternative. My prime example is the split thread
dubbing-and-CDC-fibers (clamp transfer technique) caddis pattern popularized
(and possibly invented - I haven't researched that) by Marc Petitjean.

All non-monofilament threads can be split, some easier than others. In general,
non-twisted non-bonded threads are easier to split than bonded, twisted, or
bonded-twisted threads. Danville flymaster e.g. is very easy, Gudebrod 6/0 and
8/0 (currently only available as Orvis thread?) are easy, UNI threads need to
be untwisted and 'unbonded' and take significantly more effort. My personal
favourite if I want to tie with split-thread techniques are the Gudebrod
threads, for ease of splitting coupled with overall quality.

Henk