Jimi: Thanks a lot. I use JB Weld all the time for other things, but just never
thought about it in these terms. I’ll try it. Chuck

From: Jimi, AKA Desert Eagle
Sent: Monday, January 13, 2014 9:03 AM
To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [VFB] Repairing my boat's tiny cracks, and pinholes

Morning Chuck, and all. Big tip, never use auto store or auto anything
fiberglass and resin to try to fix an aluminum boat. Common mistake and
recommended all the time, but you see the results yourself. For patching any
seam leakage or holes up to 1/2" buy the JB weld in a set. It has parts A and
B, mix equal amounts by eye, (not absolutely critical to have exactly 50 50
mix). You can get it at any auto parts store, note, don't get the small 1 oz
tube kit, get the professional 5 oz kit. As long as it is closed it lasts for
years, (I have some over 30 years old that works perfectly.

Nor the repair. sand the area to be patch with fine sandpaper or emery cloth,
both sides, (in and outside). Us acetone to clean the area in and out. Use the
ice lolly stick you used to mix it with to place a blob on the hole. If it is
small, (pin hole to about 16th inch no real backing is needed), press the blob
a bit till it oozes thru. Take another small blob and put on the other side
from where you started. Take a stip of clear packing tape and place it centered
over the patch and gently press so the JB spreads out a bit and then smooth to
a genital 1/16 to 1/8th" high in the center out patch. Repeat on the other
side. Let cure overnight and go fishing.

Now, for holes 1/8" and larger, same process, (sand clean etc.), but we add
something, your pop can. Take the empty pop can you have been enjoying while
cleaning the area and snip it open with your scissors, (note, using the same
scissors you normally use for trimming hackle is not recommended, it will give
your Royal Coachman a bad hair day...). Trim the aluminum from the can to a
patch that will overlap the hole by a minimum of 4 times the hole size for
holes up to half inch. Over that have the overlap about 3/8ths to half inch all
the way around. Note, the inside of the can is coated so you need to sand and
clean it with acetone till it is bright aluminum and you and see the sanding
marks in it. Again, mix your JB and coat the hull and the patch and place.
Press it into place and tape as before, repeat with a second patch on the
inside, or outside if you started on the inside. If you put enough JB on the
inside it should spread around the edges enough to make a nice clean patch
suitable for bare feet.

Now, the big question, did all that make sense?
Jimi
Desert Eagle Shooters
Rifle Marksmanship Instructor
Long Range Precision Rifle Instructor