There is only
one place, The Beaverkill Valley Inn. During the week (Sunday night through
Thursday Night) last year the price per night for my wife and me was $167. The
price
includes breakfast, which is fabulous. Google their web site. I fish there all
the time. Check out all their pictures on their web site.

http://www.beaverkillvalleyinn.com/

This year:

Reservations from their website:

The
Inn has 19 rooms.and
can accomodate up to 38 guests. Rooms have one queen size bed or two twin
size beds.

Fireplace
in the card room

Indoor pool
located in the Clubhouse

RESERVATIONS:

Full Meal
Plan Rates:

$395Monday
– Thursday

($33 per
night for additional child in room)

*A $35
per night discount
is offered for any of our 5 rooms with assigned bathrooms, which are located
steps down the hall from your room.

Included
in your stay is access to the nearby Clubhouse (recreation center) with an
indoor pool glass enclosed letting in lots of sunshine, recreation room, indoor
basketball court, meeting room, help-yourself ice cream parlor, billiards &
ping-pong. Guests enjoy private skiing and hiking trails, tennis courts, the
outdoor ice-skating rink and fly fishing on one mile of private water.

Cancellation
policy: The Inn requires notification 14 days prior to arrival date, and 21
days on a holiday or peak weekend for a deposit refund, less a $50 per room
cancellation fee. Cancellations received less than the time allowed will result
in a forfeiture of the entire deposit. Three night holiday and peak season
weekends require a 2 night
stay, and full meal plan. The 2 night minimum will be waived for a $75
fee.

All room
rates are subject to 8% Sales Tax, 2 % Ulster County Room
Tax, 12% service charge. Tipping is discouraged.

By
the way, the Beaverkill Valley Inn has 1 mile of private water catch and
release water on the upper Beaverkill just like 2 miles north of Lew Beach, NY.
The 'wall pool' is like no more than 300 feet away from the lodge, where I
have caught 22 inch rainbows at the head of the pool many times
because the BVI is catch and release. This pool is quite long. There
are four great pools to fish and twice as many riffles also. There is the bend
pool further south, maybe 800 feet away from the BVI. If you are
lucky enough to know someone from the Beaverkill Trout Club a couple of miles
south of the BVI, they have 6 miles of private water. You would like to fish
within walking distance of the motel/Bed & Breakfast and be
in NIRVANA? Well this is it!!! It sounds like you want to make a summer
trip. The water will be cool enough to hold the fish even through August and
warm enough to wet wade. Bing Maps the Birds Eye view of the address and you
will
get an idea of their property.

The nice thing about the BVI, is that you must cross the Barnhart
Road bridge to get to their property. Their property is separated from the
Beaverkill Valley Road by the river. This makes it quiet from traffic up the
Beaverkill Valley Road, even though you don’t get much traffic people race up
the road at breakneck speeds.

From
the BVI you can get to the East Branch of the Delaware, which has many access
points for wade fishing. In August it will still be ice cold from water
releases early in the morning, 40 degree range from the bottom of the Pepacton
Reservoir Dam in Downsville NY. It is like natures own A/C on a 95 degree
August day.

The
BVI has an indoor swimming pool, indoor basketball court and a self serve ice
cream bar/parlor. Breakfast is part of your room charge. Last year weekdays
were   $167/ night. Sunday through
Thursday night are weekdays. They serve lunch and dinner, if need be at an
additional price. Full course dinners were $50/person with soup, salad, entre
and desert. Sometimes with dinner, they have a cocktail hour with hors
d'œuvres. It just depends on how many people will be at dinner. They have a
nice little bar with good spirits a plenty, fine wine and many craft beers.
Tipping is not permitted. If they are not serving dinner, you are allowed to
eat at the homeowners association club bar in Lew Beach.

There is a wonderful
wraparound porch for sitting and reading. There are many trails for hiking but
it is black bear country so please bring bear mace and/or fog horns. Just
Google either and make your choice. I always carry bear mace, a small horn and
one 5 inch bowie knife as a last resort.

>From the BVI, you can go fish the covered bridge on the upper Beaverkill NY
state park area a few miles away. There is a deep pool there. You can go
north on route 206 out of Roscoe and before you cross the Beaverkill River
Bridge, there is a torn off on your left to the Beaverkill River. Back down 206
towards Roscoe, there is another access point. And of Course there is the
famous Junction Pool (the Beaverkill and Willowemoc meet to form the lower
Beaverkill.

There is a cute little creek with two turn offs for fishing, Mongaup
Creek. It is up Mongaup Road which is off of DeBruce Road out of
Livingston Manor. Mongaup is a tributary to the Upper Willowemoc, upstream from
Livingston Manor. The turnoff to the pool, which I always fish, is the one with
the v formed plank dam, the second one after driving up on Mongaup Road. Do not
step out onto the dam. It is slick as goat shit. Plus I am not sure that it
would support any weight because of its age. A vist to the hatchery on Mongaup
creek is worthwhile. It is fed by 1,500 gallons daily of spring water, which
just emptys into the lower Mongaup Creek where the plank dam is, insuring water
even during a hot dry summer month.

Just plop a size 16 royal wullf to the far side and let the back wash drift it
into the foam and pretty little 14 inch rainbows will bolt from the depth
underneath the foam and take your presentation. Mongaup Creek houses the
Mongaup Creek NY State Hatchery further on up the road so Google map it and you
will find the road to the aforementioned fishing spot.

Depending on the time of year, which you may go, you will have to check local
info as to local craft fairs etc.

The only fly shop, to which I go, is the Catskills Fly Shop. Dennis, the
owner, is very friendly but do not be put off by his sarcasm, if he displays
any. It is so much a part of his charm. He will give you all the help, which
you need, to choose the right flies etc. He will chit chat with you endlessly
especially when he goes outside to roll a cigarette and have a smoke. Just
follow him out and keep chatting. He can fix you up with a certified to guide
at the BVI, if you want to hire a guide. I have been to the other shops but
have been put off by their abruptness and down right ignoring my presence. At
his shop, you can buy a map of the East Branch and hire a guide, if you want to
float the East Branch or for that manner the West Branch, which is further
away.

Ups, I do go to Dette’s fly shop on the west side of the
Willowemoc in Roscoe.

https://www.detteflies.com/

Ups again, I do go to Frank Kuttner's Fly shop on the
Beaverkill Road, which is the main road to the BVI out of Livingston
Manor. In fact, the BVI sells flies, which are Kuttner's flies but at a
premium, $2.75/fly about $.75 more per fly than at his shop. In fact, his wife
works at the BVI.

 Roscoe has many great shops. My wife's favorite store is 'Annies Place'.
There is a wonderful pottery store in town, which has just started and has
great prices. There is a circle of towns, which my wife likes to visit: Walton,
Delhi, Andes and Margaretville, who have great stores, even a white witches
store in Delhi, if it is still open.

In Roscoe, there is the Roscoe Diner, Raimondos Pizza, a good Hamburger Bar
north up route 206 out of Roscoe on the right hand side, and Piccolos a fine
Italian Restaurant in Liberty just east and south of Roscoe at an Old Ho Joes.

The Catskills Fly Fishing Center and Museum is just down
the road in Livingston Manor which the girls may not be interested in, but you
and your son would be.

There is no cell phone
service at the BVI but they do have Wi-Fi for your ipads.

Attached are free maps from the New York State Department of Environmental
Conservation. There are others at

www.dec.ny.gov

Pardon my mis-spellings in the email below.

Below is the URL for the BVI.

http://www.beaverkillvalleyinn.com/index.html

There are other places: The DeBruce Inn and The Guest House on the Willowemoc.

http://www.debrucecountryinn.com/

http://www.theguesthouse.com/

And of course the is the fabulous and stupendous West Branch Angler on the West
Branch of the Delaware.

http://www.westbranchresort.com/

By the way, no felt sole wading shoes at the
BVI. I just bought Korkers last year with the BOA Lacing system and studded
rubber soles. Boy are they great, the ease of getting in and out is fantastic.
Simms has their RiverTek Boa Boot. The Boa Lacing System lets you lace up
ultrafast—with the one-handed twist of a dial. If you use your waders and your
rubber soled wading shoes, you will have to dunk them in the BVI's solution,
which they easily have on hand. This is to prevent the spread of
didymo. And if you go fish the 'main Beaverkill' you will have to dunk
them again.

When wet wading, I use a wading sock with Simms wading sandals and long
synthetic
pants for quick drying. Why long pants? It is annoying to constantly be
swatting horse flies off of your legs.  .

By the way, there are tennis courts at the BVI, in case your 'girls' play
tennis. Also, there is a very large screen TV and pool table in the basement of
the BVI.

Also, there is a casting pond at the BVI. It does have
fish but I only practice cast with wife to warm up her skills. Maybe, you can
convince the girls to learn.

http://www.livingstonmanor.org/ and
http://www.roscoeny.com/ have
many links to all the kinds of things, which your wife may want to do.

Well, I could go on and on
but call me or email me, if you have any questions.

 Mike Barrett

21133 West View

Wharton, NJ 07885

Mobile Phone: 201-841-3775 jmbarr...@msn.com

Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 06:40:50 -0400
Subject: [VFB] Catskills / Roscoe NY, USA - Any Info, send it my way
From: pete.gr...@gmail.com
To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com

So this summer, my wife finally gave in and is letting me stop for 2 or 3 days
in the catskills region, around Roscoe NY USA.  There are great things that
I've heard, and there are of course the stories of its fabled streams and
rivers.  While I'm foaming at the bit, there are some questions and possible
hiccups that need to be solved before I go.
That's where you kind folks come in.  I'll be frank - my knowledge of the
Catskills are only what the sporadic fly fishing book, a topo map, and the fly
fishing videos have shown me.  A guide is almost a necessity when it comes to
this rusty ol' caster, flopping the line on the water like a cowboy roping at a
rodeo... I'll need all the help I can get!  Been almost a half year since on
the water, possibly more, due to medical reasons; I won't go into it here, but
feel free to private message me if you'd like details.  Point is, I'd love to
fish the fabled waters, catching anything (a baseball counts as catching
something, right?), not being picky about having to catch numbers of fish, or
size of fish, but preferably catching at least one fish over the course of 2 or
3 days.  Any recommendations for which waterways to target, for a not so great
(i.e. horrible) caster?  Here's the kicker - due to the medical issues, I can't
be hiking huge distances (two miles each way is about it, if I obey the doc),
and can't be wading higher than, well, I'll say waist, but if my doc had a say
it would be up to my knee - I made the mistake of asking him...  Anyhow, heard
the Williweemoc (sp?) fits the bill, but I don't know enough about the area to
say one way or the other.
Other considerations, I'll have my wife, and kids (one in elementary school,
other a toddler) with me on this trip.  They won't be fly fishing with me, but
will need lodging and something to do for 2-3 days.  Suggestions for lodging,
eateries, and things to do while I'm enjoying the fishing would be awesome, and
would help me keep this as a "good idea" in my wife's head :)  We have no
problem with the idea to "rough it", but due to the medical issues, need
potable water, and need electricity to run medical "stuff".  Anyone who knows
how to get a portable battery pack type thing, that outputs electricity in a
way that you can just plug in a normal (USA type) electric plug, that would be
such an awesome thing, you have no idea.  Wow, this is turning into a novella -
I'll end this here and see if anyone knows of info surrounding the catskills
region centering on Roscoe NY.  Thanks!
Hardy wraps,-Pete