Hi Al:

I have to disagree with you (gently 🙂) because the original topic was
about spinning or fixed spool reels and about bale arms in particular.
Hardy developed the full bale arm and patented it. At around the same time
there was the half bale arm. You are quite correct in your quote from
Merriam-Webster in

1. means great evil or sorrow - this leads to the expression balefull look
- meaning an evil look at another person(s) but there is a second meaning
which you mention in point 2.

2."A large bundle of compressed goods usually wrapped”  This is exactly
what a bale arm does - it wraps the line around a fixed spool. Yes most
modern reels have spools that can rotate under pressure from a fish using a
pressure drag but that is not their primary design. see attachment

In the second part 1. & 2. are essentially similar in that we are removing
something i.e water from a boat or a prisoner from security.

Item 3, I have found also applies to bale depending upon where one looks.

Nev