I received this from a friend and it made me think of Tony too:

*Appreciating Life*

One day I had lunch with some old friends. Jim, a short, balding golfer
type, about 85-years old, came along with them; all in all, it was a
pleasant bunch.  When the menus were presented, my friends and I ordered
salads, sandwiches, and soups, except for Jim who said, "A large piece of
home-made apple pie, heated please."

I wasn't sure my ears heard him right, and the others were aghast, when Jim
continued, completely unabashed...."along with two large scoops of vanilla
ice cream." We tried to act quite nonchalant, as if people did this all the
time, but when our orders were brought out, I didn't enjoy eating mine.

I couldn't take my eyes off of Jim as I watched him savoring each bite of
his pie a-la-mode. The other guys just grinned in disbelief as they
silently ate their lunches. The next time I went out to eat, I called Jim
and invited him to join me. I lunched on a white meat tuna sandwich, while
he ordered a chocolate parfait. Since I was chuckling, he wanted to know if
he amused me.

I answered, "Yes, you certainly do, but you also confuse me. How come you
always order such rich desserts, while I feel like I must be sensible in my
food choices?"  He laughed and said "I'm tasting all that is possible for
me to taste. I try to eat the food I need and do the things I should in
order to stay healthy, but life's too short, my friend. I hate missing out
on something good. This year I realized how old I was. (He grinned) I've
never been this old before, so, while I'm still here, I've decided it's
time to try all those things that, for years, I've been ignoring."

He continued, "I haven't smelled all the flowers yet. There are too many
trout streams I haven't fished. There's more fudge sundaes to wolf down and
kites to be flown overhead.  "There are too many golf courses I haven't
played. I've not laughed at all the jokes. I've missed a lot of sporting
events and potato chips and cokes.  "I want to wade again in water and feel
ocean spray on my face. I want to sit in a country church once more and
thank God for His grace.

"I want peanut butter every day spread on my morning toast. I want un-timed
long distance calls to the one I love the most.  "I haven't cried at all
the movies yet, or walked in the morning rain. I need to feel wind on my
face. I want to be in love again.  "So, if I choose to have dessert,
instead of having dinner, then should I die before night fall, I'd say I
died a winner, because I missed out on nothing. I filled my heart's desire.
I had that final piece of pie before my life expired."  With that, I called
the waitress over.. "I've changed my mind, " I said. "I want what he's
having, only add some more whipped cream!"

--
Mike Bliss