The needle has a hook on one side that grabs the side of  the thread and
pulls it apart.  He mentioned that one could feel the tiny hook with their
finger.  I have asked, in German, where one can buy such a device. The
video did not say where one could obtain it. I use a common sewing machine
needle as my thread splitting needle and it seems to work quite well.
However, I'd love to get my hands on the Spleissnadel.