On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 06:39:35AM -0600, Billy Biggs wrote:
> Brian Craft ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
>
> > I just upgraded to rh8.0 from 7.1, and xawtv started giving me
> > half-height video in "fullscreen" mode, using vidmode. The bottom half
> > of the screen remains blue, and the video is squashed vertically in
> > the upper half.
>
>   What resolution are you at when this happens?  I also have a G400 and
> I've seen this sort of behavior when at very low resolutions, but I have
> not investigated it.

640x480

> > BTW, is it possible to set up hardware scaling in a way that doesn't
> > suck? I'm always amazed at how horrible the video looks using the
> > xvideo extension. I alawys use vidmode instead to match the source
> > resolution. It gives a vastly sharper picture. Does this depend on the
> > hardware algorithm?
>
>   With what were you doing these tests, and what resolution do you set
> it to to match the source?

1024x768, 1280x1024, 1600x1400 are desktop resolutions I've used. Scaling up to
any of these resolutions gives me a fairly pixelated picture with blurred lines
-- pretty much what you'd get if you took a jpeg and enlarged it with ee, or
some similar tool. This seems predictable to me -- what else would happen if
you blow up a low resolution picture? The part I don't get is why it's such a
sought after feature. Is there some way to enlarge a low resolution source
without making it blurred and pixelated?

When doing fullscreen from a bt878 card, I set fullscreen to 640x480 in ~/.xawtv.

b.c.