I am currently looking to build a linux box that will do the following:

Encode video from a capture card (maybe an ATI all-in-wonder 128) Preferably, it would encode the captured video to a format small enough to fit between 72 and 96 hours (more would be nice) of video on the harddrive at any given time (so the smaller I can compress it, the better.)

I also need to be able to display the video feed onscreen while I encode it in real-time. Hopefully, I can then use a remote access program of some sort to access view the video feed in real-time from another location (via the internet).

If this isn't possible, the other solution could be to use some sort of streaming video solution, provided that the access to said stream could be protected.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions to get me started. I've taken a look at KM, VideoLAN, and a number of other programs that are out there, and while I have yet to actually build the machine and start to test things out, I would like to get a fairly firm idea of the approach I'm going to be using before I start to implement it. If you know of ANY programs (preferably open-source!!!!) that would fit the above discription, please reply along with the name and a link to the software's homepage so I can properly research it.

Any comments or insights into alternative solutions are also more than welcome.

Thomas Stooke