Here is an example of of the iTunes feed that seems to be working
fine for me evey time:
http://tinyurl.com/dnmjf

By using XML, you simply extract your database data and that becomes
reformated automatically for each post.

One note, yes, sometimes individual posts will not show up in iTunes
if there is not a media file enclosed that iTunes can read.

For a great test/examination into what will and will not work, add
apollopony feed to iTunes manually (its not in the directory) and see
what posts are included and which posts iTunes ignores. Some mpgs are
included, some are not. I assume it has to do with the codec:
http://tinyurl.com/e25dq

I use Moveable Type which comes with XML templates so its very easy
to tweak. By adding the tags to the field, instead of the actual
field data, it auto wraps the data for RSS.

This brings up exactly the right question:

What tools are avil. to create your own XML templates?