I capture the original footage via FireWire from my camera, first
making sure I have enough hard disk space.

To capture and edit the video I use Adobe Premiere Elements
(previously used Windows Movie Maker).

I export the edited video for the web, plus a full-sized AVI of the
edited video as well.

I burn the original AVI to a DVD as a DATA DISC, not as a playable
DVD. I use Sonic RecordNow for this; it came with my computer. I
also burn the edited, full-sized AVI, the project files (these are
not very big and its important to keep them, since they represent
what may be the single biggest investment of time in your video),
the web files and any ancillary files I've created such as still
images etc. Remembering all this is burnt as a data disc, not a
playable DVD. Overall I may end up using more than one discs ... in
this case I look at the file sizes and put whatever will fit
together on each disc.

If you've captured the original AVI as one huge file, you may have
problems fitting it on DVD depending on length. Better to capture it
as "scenes" or whatever this is called - basically your software
breaks it into chunks. I only just discovered this; in the past, for
a source AVI that wouldn't fit on one disc, I had to create a
project and export 20 minutes' worth of the source AVI (about the
amount that will go on one DVD), then export the rest and burn them
to separate discs. The scenes/chunks methods removes this step; you
just click and drag 4.7GB worth of the chunks onto one disc, burn,
then the rest onto another disc.

Then the original stuff I ditch from my hard drive.

Burning an AVI version of the edited video is important, I think.
When new whiz-bang software comes out with brilliant compression or
some other must-have feature you can import that edited file, rather
than having to edit all over again. Although I do find that AVIs
created with Windows Movie Maker will produce awful audio glitches
when imported into other programs.

Archival media are cheap, I got 50 Kodak DVD+Rs for about $30
Canadian. When some new medium comes up that lasts forever I'll be
sure to transfer everything.

Waz
www.crashtestkitchen.com