We have seen this happen before, it happened right now, and will
happen again - and again - and again - and again: Mainstream media
looking at us and highlighting some among us.

I guess we got to start getting used to it.

I suggest the following:

Everytime someone from mainstream media wants to interview you about
vlogging, you interview them in return. After their story goes online
and their publication get their advertising money or readership
satisfaction or whatever, you post your take on the situation. What
was it like to be interviewed by them? How does mainstream media work?
What makes them Tick? What did Not make it to the newspaper article?

Also: If you get showcased in some mainstream media article, how do
you react? Document your reaction, if you want. Did the mention make
you happy? Did it lead to more visitors to your site? Do you think it
helps to validate your work? "Oh mom, don't complain about me staying
up untill midnight every night working on my computer. I am a
superstar! I am in the frigging New York Times!" (tickle @ Ian)

Every time the media takes an inspection of the vlogosphere, we stare
them right back in the glass eye, and we document them dissecting us.
As such, Chuck Olsen's blog entry is entertaining, although, as Chris
pointed out, we should be careful about limiting vlogging ourselves.

I am reading this fantastic book right now: "The hypercomplex
society", by Lars Qvortrup. (thank you Andreas Haugstrup for the tip,
isn't Qvortrup from your university? Have you spoken with him?) In the
book Qvortrup talks about the move from the antropocentric to the
polycentric society, and how this affects media, politics -
everything. Radical ideas, but he sure has a point. I will vlog about
his ideas, using a mixture of live footage and screencasting methods,
within the next week or so.

Mainstream media:

You are just like us. We all have our perspectives. As you look at us,
we look at you. Sometimes we pity you and want to help you 'get'
certain things right, other times we admire how you manage to grab
headlines, stand out as credible sources, and get funding for those
massive undertakings it is to run a successful publishing house.

And once again: If you want to be a successful vlogger, make a topical
vlog, do something TV-style, name it XYZ Show, and work hard hard
hard. The ground is still oh so fertile.

Keep vlogging!

Best,
Raymond M. Kristiansen
dltq.org