Clint Sharp wrote:
> David Meade wrote:
>
>>I was looking at YouTube today and when reading their Terms of Use ...
>>a few things scared me away ... I'm no lawyer, so perhaps I'm reading
>>too much into it, but it sounds like I'm relinquishing my cc license
>>entirely by using the service.
>>
> IANAL, but the CC License is what you're granting to the general public,
> and as a default license.  This is not an exclusive license, meaning
> that you can enter in other licensing agreements seperate of the CC
> License (which is what you would do if you sold the work to be used
> commercially).

That how I understand it as well. So if someone really wanted to use
your CC NonCommercial piece for commercial purposes, they could contact
you and you could work out a commercial deal with them.

> The YouTube license that you're agreeing to by uploading
> there basically says that by uploading you're granting them full rights
> to do whatever they want with your work, as I read it.  So yeah, if
> you're worried they might sell your work, then I don't know that I'd
> upload there.  However, since you're using their bandwidth etc, I think
> it's only fair that they be allowed to make money from the content that
> you upload there.

Yeah, I suppose it might have great impact on what YouTube is trying to
do if they selected your piece and you later decided to pull it away
from them. Which would explain why they wish to protect themselves by
gaining "irrevocable" rights to the work.

Pete

--
http://tinkernet.org/
videoblog for the future...