I've used FFmpegX on the Mac for deinterlacing video.
http://homepage.mac.com/major4/

It can be a little tough to install because there are a few
dependencies, but once you get it running its really an incredible
tool.

At my previous day job at a TV station, I often had to transfer mpeg2
video encoded for TV (interlaced) and put it on the web. I would first
transcode the mpeg2 files to mpeg4 quicktime, resized and
deinterlaced. Then I would compress further in quicktime pro to
something more suitable for the web.

Hope that helps.

-josh