Monday, August 15, 2005, 4:01:55 PM, Andreas Haugstrup wrote:

> Both major formats in use in our community (MOV and WMV) have standardĀ
> metadata fields. Hook into those and you don't need hacks such as savingĀ
> info in the file names.

Hmm. I just read a few messages ago about the ability to add
metadata to mov files. I'd obviously forgotten about the ability to
add metadata to WMV. Serves me right for using editing software that
doesn't allow me to set/edit metadata on export.

However, my point was not really that current *formats* don't support
metadata (although that's how I phrased it, I'll admit).

My intended point was that the great majority of video *files* don't
include metadata. I just had a quick scan thorough my colection of
downloaded videoblogs.

I can't get the QT player to show me any user metadata (i.e things
like author, date, copyright etc.) for _any_ of the .mov files. That may
because I don't know how to look for it, as I don't usually use the QT
player. If anyone can point at how to find useful user metadata in any
existing QT videoblogs, please let me know.

Of the WMV files, the only one with anything approaching usable
metadata is Rocketboom. Most WMV files have little or no metadata, and
most of the ones that do, just have adverts for the software used to
create the file rather than anything about the content.

Based on my straw poll, it seems that most current videoblogs don't
contain user metadata, and by inference, most current videobloggers
don't add it to their movies. I also reckon that until software
support gets a bit more friendly, most new videobloggers won't add
user metadata either.

After all, the post that started this happened because someone
downloaded a file and couldn't find out where it came from later.

So, in a situation like this, where some formats _support_ metadata,
but it's not really used, I suggest that my original suggestion still
has some value. Enclosure grabber programs should contain an *option*
to add the metadata that they know from downloading the file (such as
source and date of creation/posting) to the file in a portable way.

Such as tagging it on to the filename.

Or am I still missing some important point?

--
Frank Carver   http://www.makevideo.org.uk