Regarding your compressed file ending up bigger than your original:

Your camera creates footage that is already compressed, and the
settings you are using to recompress are for higher quality/less
compression than the original, hence the larger file.

Bitrate is the key. This tells the compressor how much data space it
is allowed to use per second for the video.

I would start off by looking at exactly what compression is used in
the files your camera creates. Load a mov that came from your camera
into quicktime and go to the window menu and select 'show movie info'.

Format, FPS and data rate are the important ones, if you let this
group know what they are, can give you more specific advice.

Also if you see someone elses video that you like the looks/filesize
per minute of, then you can do 'show movie info' on that and find out
what bitrate etc they use. Unfortunately things can get a bit more
complex than this because theres all sorts of other options in the
compressor software, factors that can affect how good the video looks
and how much it honours other settings like the bitrate youve chosen.

For example your camera might create videos that are mpeg 4, 320x240,
12FPS and a bitrate of 256k. If that were so, there would be no point
in recompressing at a higher resolution, framerate or bitrate, because
you wont gain anything, just end up with larger files.

The same applies to audio, if your source footage is mono 24khz 64kb
then there would be no point recompressing to 24khz stereo 128kb or
whatever.

Regarding files being much larger than other videoblogs:

If followed fully the guides for compression that are on freevlog
should suit most people, it shouldnt create files that are way larger
than most videoblogs out there. So if you end up with really large
files, either you made a mistake with the instructions, or theres a
bug in some part of the process (for example if you used 3ivx to
compress with qt7, it seems theres a bug so it ignores your bitrate
settings and you could end up with much larger files than you should).

The only limitation with the guides is that they are (by design) quite
general, they have mostly been used by people using DV cameras where
the original videos are very huge (13 gigabytes per hour) because DV
isnt compressed as much as cameras that use mov, mpeg4 etc. So pretty
much whatever setting they use for recompression, it will be a lot
smaller than the original. And if they recompress with high bitrate
then the footage will look better than with low bitrate. But if your
camera only records at a low bitrate in the first place ther is no
point recompressing to a higher one, as I said earlier. This isnt too
much of a problem as the guides use a fairly low bitrate anyway, but
Id still like to know what settings your camera uses to give you the
most optimised settings for your setup.

Oh dear I hope my waffle hasnt made things more confusing. If in doubt
you could upload some really short clips to the net and I'll happily
take a look.

Cheers

Steve of Elbows

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "BevSykes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I had actually checked out that tutorial and have done some
compression in WindowsMedia (cumbersome because I have to convert from
.mov, which comes from my camera, to .avi so that it can be read in
Windows Media.  That compression works but the files are then .wmv
files and I note that, at least Our Media, seems to prever Quicktime
(.mov).  (Though I've just checked blip.tv and see that the preferred
format seems to be .wmv)

> -Bev

I'm
>   > hoping to learn from you, and if I can just get the file size to
be
>   > reasonable, I'll be a happy camper.  At present I'm uploading
>   > things to OurMedia and so far haven't had enough problem to think
>   > about moving to a pay site (and until I actually produce something
>   > that's worth seeing, OurMedia seems to suit my practice videos
just
>   > fine).
>   >
>   > I'm one of those senior citizens, like Steve Garfield's mom
(though
>   > not quite that old), who is trying to figure out the new technology.
>   >
>   > Thanks for your help.
>   >
>   > Bev Sykes
>   >
>   > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
>   >
>   >  Visit your group "videoblogging" on the web.
>   >
>   >  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
>   >  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>   >
>   >  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service.