Thank you for your thoughtful and thorough commentary.

I've never had any formal PC training.  I have watched various tutorials at freevlog etc. and I can see why people say Mac's are much more intuitive.  I've been reading discussions far beyond my comprehension on all of this and am reasonably certain I want to end up using Final Cut Pro.

However, while reading the intro to a book about it, they advised "against" attempting to dive directly into Final Cut Pro.  I ended up buying a book on Final Cut Express and reading about "nondestructive editing" versus "destructive editing" makes me feel like I should just get a Mac with iMovie or with Express Cut Pro ($300).  I could upgrade to Final Cut Pro later.

I have been spending six to ten hours daily for the past couple months researching, watching blogs, etc.  I fully expect working with video and vlogging to be the central part of my life in the near future.  I've already shot over twenty hours of mini-dv footage for a documentary I am working on for street fairs over the past couple months.  I am retired and have no other interests that can compete with video at this time.

That made your comments here especially interesting:
On the editing front,
I mean for example that there is a great compositing software called
Motion 2 which ships with the full Fina Cut Studio. It makes use of
lots of CPU and graphics card power & RAM, in order to try to do as
much stuff in realtime as possible, rather than having to render the
content in non-realtime. Its good because when you are in the middle
of creating something (eg an elaborate title sequence) you can see all
the changes straight awa in high quality, the workflow is smooth and
that means a lot regarding enjoying the process.

I definitely want to keep my options open to HD video, that is exactly why I want to go with the G5 tower and all the specs given in the price quote.  I've been hanging out at the Apple store quite a bit and have attended several of their workshops.  In fact, I have an appointment tonight at the Genius Bar in SoHo to discuss the options with them.

I really don't want to make a mistake like I did while buying the $800 Sony HC42 without realizing it didn't have a plug-in for a wireless mike.  It had been several years since my last "flurry" of filming with my Hi-8 camera.

Certain things like the internal harddrives I believe have to be in your original configuration.  The 8GB I believe could be added later just like upgrading to Final Cut Pro from Express.  I am going to make a decision by Monday because there comes a point where you have to make a decision.

Thanks again Steve for your thoughts.  I met someone else at the NYC Vloggers meeting who also thought PCs gave more bang for the buck and were better than Macs in many ways.