--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "David Yirchott"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Charles,
> I was rather hoping you'd respond to:

I'll come back to the specific case of "blog" after I've proven that
most definitions are fuzzy and prototypical.

> This isn't about majority. This is about definition.

Words are defined by their usage. Usage is determined by observation
of human beings; it is inescapably statistical.

> The exception disproves
> the rule. If any blogs do not have RSS, then "blog" by definition
cannot
> It is like saying that the Toyota Camry is the most prevalent
> car, therefore a "car" by definition is required to be a Toyota
Camry.

If I rip the rear view mirror off a car, it's still a car. But how
many parts can I remove until it ceases to be a car? Is there a
well-defined threshold? If it were well-defined, wouldn't all people
who know "what" a car is have to agree on it?

Rather, as you remove pieces, it gradually becomes less and less of a
car. There is no precise threshold, and there are states at which
reasonable people would disagree. Same with Techno, and adolescent
dogs, and websites with some blog-like features.