> hey Jan,
> I've got an old cassette tape (the 'normal' kind) from the early 70s
> that my mother used to record my voice on when I was little. The tape
> has come undone from one of the wheels, but otherwise, hopefully, it's
> fine.
> Do you know someone who could rescue the tape from it's current case,
> string it onto something, run it through a machine and transfer it to
> digital???
> I'd like a real professional, someone with archival material handling
> experience... ('cause I'll only have one shot at it.)

The case rescue is actually quite easy. I did it numerous times when I had a
cassette deck prone to eating tapes many years ago. Looks more dangerous
than it really is. Most of the housings have little screws like the kind
found in eye glass repair kits.

In terms of getting the tape transferred to digital format, once you get the
tape transferred to a new housing, it's simply a matter of playing it
through a cassette deck connected to your sound card line in and then using
some software to remove the tape hiss and other noise artifacts.

Jake Ludington

http://www.mediablab.com
http://www.podcastingstarterkit.com