Steve,

You ask very tough questions. This is good, but I don't really have
all the answers for you (or the answers you necessarily want to hear).

I completely disagree with you on the definition of open source there.
Open source is not just about source code. It is a much larger
cultural exchange that is as much social, and political as it is
technical. Besides, there is nothing restricting others from building
their own RSS aggregator. Go ahead and do it. You don't need our
source code for that.

FireANT is based on open content and open protocols. It will have an
open web services API that developers will be able to take advantage
of. We are doing our best to make this community stronger. We do a ton
of outreach and education. Anyone who spends even a brief time on this
list would know that. We do this because we believe in this spreading
this culture. We believe that other people's voices are important --
that media should be an active conversation and not a passive
experience. We want people to create and distribute their own media,
and we work damn hard to acheive this goal.

We also believe in FireANT. We want to make a real sustainable
business so that we don't have to work another day job. We want to
dedicate our time to serving this community and improving our product.
We also want our product to be free. Its not easy to make a
sustainable business based on free tools, but we think its worth
trying -- just requires a lot more creativity.

Regarding the alpha testing process... I don't think our concerns were
unreasonable. We had a closed testing group, and some members were not
able to respect the responsibility of being a tester -- it doesn't
just mean you get to grab some free software, it means you are
agreeing to help us through the process by providing useful bug
reports and feedback in a somewhat controlled environment... yes, the
private alpha and beta testing process should is controlled by its
very nature. When the software is public, then you can feel free to
discuss publicly. Again, not an unreasonable concern on our part....
sheesh this discussion is several months old too.

-Josh