Josh Leo wrote:
> The term podcast came from the idea that these mp3 "shows" would be put on
> an ipod...so i guess that name is flawed right there because it is not a key
> feature of the content that is being created or how it is presented...it is
> a matter of how the user decides to listen to it. the second thing is that
> "video podcast" is refferring to a medium which has nothing to do with an
> ipod, or any other device. The key feature is that it is in a blog, a site
> with permalinks, dated posts, etc... so how is the term video podcast
> anygood for describing what the heck a video blog is besides that people who
> know what a podcast is may understand the addition of video. It is also
> assuming that "video podcasts" owe something to podcasts, like it is some
> sort of addition to podcasting or an off-shoot. I think the majority of
> video bloggers couldn't give a rat's ass about podcasts (i know there are
> some who do both, but the majority don't)

Actually, when we started the podcasting thing, we didn't really have a
good name for it. When I said, "it's automated delivery of content via
syndication technologies" it made sense to geeks but try using it with
your mom, or the media, it' doesn't work.

So when Danny Gregoire applied the word "podcasting" to what we were
doing, it stuck as a simple term that sort of explained it. Kind of like
"broadcasting" but to an iPod. And believe me, we tried to emphasize
that you did not need an iPod. I *still* do not own an iPod and have
been involved in podcasting for over a year now...

(I also regret that I didn't try harder to fight the use of the term
iPodder that was applied to "enclosure aware aggregators" that handled
audio.)

"podcasting" works when describing the delivery of audio as an enclosure
in an RSS feed, but you can deliver any file in an RSS feed: photos,
applications, PDF's, etc... It's just that "podcasting" stole the
spotlight of enclosures in RSS.

As for videobloggers that don't give a rat's ass about podcasts, I think
it's sad, because if "we are the media" then don't look down on other
forms of media, embrace them all for their unique qualities.

Pete

--
http://tinkernet.org/
videoblog for the future...