Pete,

I'm not completely up on the entire BitTorrent specification, but I
think the way it is designed is INTENDED to take no more bandwidth
from one person (including the initial seeder) to download than a
direct video download. My reading of the spec (one time) indicated
that I think there could be an overhead of 20-30% on small files
with poorly designed BitTorrent client, but I think this may not
affect the large video files.

There is the overhead of serving the BitTorrent meta file (which
could be 5Kbytes - 100kbytes depending on your chosen chunk size and
the size of the file. And there is the overhead of the protocol. But
the savings you get is from the other clients being able to serve
each other. So if you have 10 people downloading a 100MByte video at
the same time, you will have to serve your video once to seed other
downloaders. There are other protocols and even ways to optimize the
download with smart BitTorrent clients and servers (serving a
different 10% of the file to each client so that 100% of the file is
available outside your server) but I don't think these are
guaranteed within the protocol. My complete and total guess is that
you could reduce your bandwith requirements by 40%-80% (compared to
direct video downloads). Even more if you have a lot of simultaneous
downloads. Maybe someone with real experience can chime in here.

I may have this wrong, as this is from the top of my head, but based
on a little knowledge.

Greg Smith
Author, FeederReader - Pocket PC *direct* RSS text, audio, video,
podcasts
www.FeederReader.com - Download on the Road

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Pete Prodoehl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Jay dedman wrote:
> > Im always curious about when torrents will get popular.
> > this way no one has to worry about bandwidth.
> > its always this "full of potential" idea.
> >
> > gary at torrentacracy has come up with this:

http://www.torrentocracy.com/blog/archives/2005/09/pep_is_deliciou_1.
shtml
> > it bascially scrapes any feed and puts the items into torrents.
> > he becomes the first seeder.
> >
> > in my mind, we will all have a home computer that becomes a
server.
> > we keep it on and connected at all times.
> > youll have 100GB of your favorate video seeded on it.
> > this is how we create a truly decentaralized video network.
>
> Well, even with torrents, you still have to worry about bandwidth.
And
> my main home computer is used for work, so I really can't afford
to slow
> it down serving our torrents. I do have another server at home
that
> could, but it doesn't have the disk space, and I'd worry about it
> bogging down the network.
>
> I'm not against torrents, I'm very much in favor of them, but even
> (who I consider to be pretty technically astute) am a bit
skeptical
> about implementing torrents and the ramifications of doing so.
Maybe I