I suppose since we at Audioblog.com is a videoblog/podcast company that is a
FEE-based
service (for now), I might be qualified to answer. ;-)

I guess I think of the olden days when we had television (heh), you'd see two
offerings:
rabbit-ears network TV (free) and then cable (fee). Why pay for cable when you
can get TV
for free?

1. There are usually differences in service offerings in things that are free
vs. fee.

2. There's a different kind of accountability (not better/not worse, just
*different*) with pay
services

3. Some people believe you get what you pay for--look at free blog site,
Blogger; then
look at fee-based Typepad. One is more feature rich (and stable IMHO) than the
other. I'll
let you guess which one is which. ;-)

4. Free services might tend to be a little more DIY or technically demanding...
People have
actually wanted to PAY ME to set up a FreeVlog for them because of the
complexity of the
steps (as perceived by some newbies in the world)... talk about weird (I've
turned them all
down thus far).

5. Why mow the lawn or change the oil on your car yourself, when you can hire a
neighbor
kid or take the car to the local Park-n-Lube?

6. I tend to believe that it's a myth that FEE can't compete with FREE. I've
seen ridiculous
surges in new customer signups when a similar and/or competing service has a
blackout.

When I started using blog tools, I used Blogger, then upgraded to the more DIY
and mostly
free MovableType (had to pay for hosting). Now, I pay someone to host (like
Typepad)
because I don't want to deal with it and I want some sort of guarantee of
reliabilty.

I like the idea of OurMedia. Great stuff. And while it might be free, just
remember that
SOMEone SOMEwhere is paying money for allllll that stuff that makes it go. I
hope they
don't get hit by a bus.

My .03 cents worth
Eric