Mmm technology like this has so much potential indeed. Ive been
draming of it for years, but the reality doesnt match what is
technically possible right now, and it makes me very sad.

I dont think Ive checked out second life, but lots of others that use
a similar 3d avatar in a virtual world type thang. All the ones I
tried were a bit rough around the edges, years behind the sorts of 3d
interactive experiences you can have online if you want to shoot
someone in a tank.

Its one tragedy to me, because I think of all the millions of
development hours that have gone into allowing people from all over
the world to shoot eachother, and what they have achieved. There is
some brilliant stuff out there, but I dont want to shoot people, I
want to interract in positive ways.

To me the ultimate system just requires a few extra existing
technologies to be merged with the 3d engine:

The ability to project video onto virtual screens in the 3d world, and
for everyone in that room to see and hear it, would be so sweet. Then
we could all gather round and have virtual videoblogging conferences,
tutorials etc, watch video together. I dont really know how good it
would be until its done nicely and tried by lots of people. But Id
sure like to see the virtual videobloggers multiplex cinema in action.

Ultimately the idea can be taken further, and the faces of the avatars
could be replaced by ichat type video of the peoples actual faces, so
all this stuff merges together with videoconferencing fully.

A lot of the companies who did virtual worlds stuff did not do so
well, and 3d internet in gernal has not taken off like many hoped. I
put it down to not-good-enough 3d engines, and people not being used
to how they could make an efficient user interface in 3d.

I can see why there is so much more money for development of games
rather than this stuff, eventually the right 3d engine that supports
video as a texture might be used by someone doing a virtual world
thing and woohoo, my dreams will come true.

Steve of Elbows
--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, andrew michael baron